Friday, June 11, 2010

Quicktime warnings on Mac Snow Leopard (10.6)

Executive summary: If you have Snow Leopard and Quicktime < 7.6.6, upgrade your OS to 10.6.3.

We've had quite a few reports on our extension homepage about Quicktime X, which is available only for Mac OS 10.6, and its incompatibility with Quicktime 7. The solution we offer (a link to download the latest version of Quicktime) is problematic.

A user reports:
Secbrowsing keeps telling me that I need to update my quicktime plugin for 7.6.3 to 7.6.4 though 7.6.4 is not available for my operating system OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
One of our users has even shared a screenshot with us:



There's very little documentation about this on the web, so I thought I'd write something down about potential workarounds.

It seems like in 10.6.3, Quicktime 7 (and X) is bundled with the OS. This creates confusion when there's a security fix for Quicktime 7, but no apparent way to get the new version in OS 10.6.

I have not investigated previous security fixes (7.6.4, 7.6.5), but I have investigated 7.6.6:

The security fixes in 7.6.6 also went into the security fix for Snow Leopard: 10.6.3 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4077. I've also verified that a newly bought 10.6 laptop reports "Quicktime 7.6.6" as a plugin in Chrome and Firefox. So if you have 7.6.5 or 7.6.3 or earlier on Snow Leopard, you can only get 7.6.6 by installing the Snow Leopard security updates.